Hannah's World!

Hannah's World!
A Character

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Healing?

Nine months after the surgery (ironic, I know!), I had my annual visit with my Ob/Gyn. They ran the regular test on me, with a few extra thrown in considering my now history & my family history of female-related cancers. One of the Dr’s nurses called me two days after my pelvic ultra-sound to read the report to me. Basically everything is normal and ‘your endometrium wall is of normal thickness’. She kept reading but I stopped listening at that statement.

“Wait, go back & read that sentence about my endometrium please.”

“your endometrium wall is of normal thickness.” (she included the actual measurement here as well)

“Um…” afraid I was going to embarrass her, “this can’t be my report. I don’t have any endometrium. I was diagnosed with Asherman’s Syndrome last December” (the worst case that surgeon had ever seen) “and my endometrium is destroyed and my uterus obliterated. And I know I don’t have any endometrium because I don’t shed it every month (have a period) and haven’t since my miscarriage.”

“Mrs. Ellis, are you trying to get pregnant? Because if you are, according to this report, you should be able to. Your uterus seems fine and your endometrium is normal.”

“I can’t say we’re trying to get pregnant because we were told we couldn’t. Impossible actually. We’re just letting God be God.”

I called my dear friend Susan as Brad was at work. Susan squealed! (To anyone who knows her, you know this is one of the beautiful qualities of her – she is truly and passionately joyful.) “You’re healed! You’re healed! Praise Jesus!” Susan exclaimed.

“That can’t be though. I mean, I have no ‘proof’ (a period) that I have any endometrium from month to month.”

One week to the day of the nurse’s phone call, I had a normal period. The first in a year-and-a-half. I was stunned. I shared the news with Brad & we kept it to ourselves, not sure what to make of it all. For six months, every 22 days on the mark, I had a period, just as normal as before the miscarriage. I never called a doctor. I never had any tests run. We let God be God and we kept on living.

No comments: